Monday 9 April 2012

Free

Free is the word that I chose a couple of weeks ago, or it chose me.  This past month in Chatelaine magazine there was an article by the editor asking people to think of one word to describe themselves.  It was a one word challenge.  My word was ‘Free.’  It is a word that has been bubbling up in me.   I clipped a picture from a magazine of broken chains – thought it would be good for use in art.  I put the picture on my easel – in the art studio I am setting up in the basement.  I left it for a while until I felt free to paint.  It was there for a month and in the back of my mind as well.  I painted the background last week and left it again.  This morning I woke – toke laundry downstairs, (Monday is laundry day – from laundry we cannot be free) I walked past the easel and looked at the painting.  I took it upstairs to finish it by drawing in the chain in coloured makers.  Then I realized it is Easter Monday – We are free! Christ is risen and we are free to live in fullness of life.  Free means for me that I am free spiritually, I am free from cancer (18 months since I finished my treatments) I am free for the future to see what I will do next.  Whatever it is I want it to include my freedom of expression in art. 

Free! Free! Free! I am free! I hope that others can find this freeness I have found.  I have a freedom to explore faith, art, relationships, hope for the future.    Chains can be broken.  Some we break for ourselves, some others break for us, some we help others break their chains.  The greatest freedom is when it is received as a gift.  That is my gift this Easter is that I am free!

I was looking for the word free in an online concordance and this is the verse I found:

Matthew 11:28-30 in the Message paraphrase of the Bible.

28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

This passage spoke to me because I have seen it in a new light.  I have heard it many times in funerals as a comfort to the family (in a different translation) Here however, I felt that whatever will come next for me will be well suited to me – it won’t be ill-fitting – it will be just right and very freeing to show God’s work through me. 

1 comment:

  1. Free!!!!!! We have new life and new possibilities.

    ReplyDelete